Hardwood floors are usually tough to clean, and this is because of the dust that settles on it easily hence giving your floor an awful look.
Therefore this gives you the task of finding the appropriate hardwood floor dust mop, which does perfect cleaning in very minimal time. So, what are the best dust mop for hardwood floors?
If you are in a hurry to make decisions, pick one from the following top 6 recommendations.
- Quick Pick
Budget-friendly dust mop with a flexible microfiber mop head – O-Cedar Dust Mop
Good quality mop for both residential and business uses. – Nine Forty for Hardwood Floors
With lanolin and wool materials to absorb more water – Sladust Wool Dust Mop
Easily attached mop pads o the head of the mop with velcro – 360 Dry Wet Dust Mop
Clip design for the reusable mop heads and to clean large surface areas – LINKYO Hardwood Floor Mop
Compact and lightweight duster bends for easy storage – Multifunctional Duster for All Surfaces
Why Should You Use Dust Mop Instead of Broom for Hardwood floors?
Dust mops are efficient and effective in cleaning hardwood floors. It is built to collect all dust, fluff, and fuzz gathering on your floors. It is great since it ensures no dust hides or is blown under the sofa or bed.
Normal brooms help spread dust and other dirt throughout the house giving you a hard time cleaning. Furthermore, it causes scratching leaving marks on your hardwood floors.
Broom also leaves a cloud of dust that settles down again leaving your floor dirty. Additionally, dust causes allergies.
What Kinds of Dust Mops Are Best for Hardwood?
Now learn the kinds that you can use on the hardwood floor:
It is made from either cotton or synthetic material. Cotton string mops are more economical.
Nevertheless, they are less effective in cleaning hardwood floors. They are best for wet cleaning spills and stains. A synthetic string mop is more expensive and more effective than cotton string mops hence the better choice of string mop to use.
- A string mop has high absorbency.
- You can use the bucket to make your detergent.
- It can be used both at home and commercially.
A flat mop is the best choice when it comes to your wooden floors. You do not want to ruin your beautiful hardwood floor by using the wrong mop, do you?
Flat mops feature a slender design, thus are easy to use. They can easily fit into small crannies, corners, and nooks. Most flat mops heads are machine washable, thus easy maintenance.
- It has a removable head for easy cleaning.
- It is ideal for small spaces.
- It can rotate 360 degrees.
- It can be used for both dry and wet cleaning.
Hardwood floors can also be cleaned using a vacuum. A vacuum cleaner will clean your hardwood floor effectively leaving behind a very clean surface. You do not need anything special when using a vacuum cleaner to remove dust, hair, and debris from your floor.
A vacuum cleaner can damage the hardwood floor if you use the wrong kind. Therefore, before purchasing check the manufacturer’s information to establish if it is meant for hardwood floors.
Rugs can also be used to clean hardwood floors, however, it should be the last option. Generally, there are soft rugs and hard rugs. Hard rugs consist of rough backings that can destroy the hardwood floor over time.
What Dust Mop Materials Can be Used on Hardwood Floors?
Many materials can be used as the mop pad for cleaning hardwood floors. Some of the common ones include:
A cotton mop: It is cheap and very absorbent. A cotton mop is ideal for light-duty and spill cleaning on a hardwood floor.
A Microfiber mop: It is made from synthetic fibers. Microfiber mops are very expensive compared to all the other mops.
Blend mop: It features a blend of cotton and synthetic fibers. It is a perfect choice for everyday dust mopping and cleaning.
Wool mop: This mop head is purely made from wool material. It is ideal for hardwood floor cleaning. Cleaning using a wool mop leavens your floor clean without any dirt left behind or the release of wool fabric on your floors.
Electrostatic mop: The mop attracts the positively charged particles and carries them until it is deactivated. This mop is time-saving, easy to use, and effective in cleaning.
Loop end VS Cut-end Mop Yarn, Which One Is Better?
The main difference between a loop-end and a cut-end mop is durability.
A cut-end mop is less durable than a loop-end mop. A loop-end mop is more expensive than a cut-end mop. A loop-end mop is washable and thus reusable.
A cut-end mop on the other hand tends to tangle and fall apart when machine washing.
A loop-end is perfect for both home and commercial cleaning.
Since a cut-end mop is not very much reusable, it can be used to clean spills as it has high absorbing power.
10 Best Dust Mop for Hardwood Floors Reviews
1. Best Overall – O-Cedar Microfiber Dust Mop
- Lightweight and flexible to easily get into corners and hard to reach areas
- Excellent for picking up dust, hair, and dirt
- Reusable and easily washable mop heads
- Easy to use
- Not a lot of unnecessary extra features and this dust mop is modestly priced
- The dust mop heads will not last as long as advertised, though you still will be able to get multiple uses out of them before needing to be replaced
O-cedar has been a trusted brand name in anything related to cleaning floors for years now, and they always provide great, durable products, and clean well. This budget-friendly dust mop is of great value and features a flexible microfiber mop head that is great at picking up and holding dust and other particles as you clean.
You won’t need to constantly go over the same area to maintain the desired level of cleanliness, and the dust pads that are compatible with this model are re-usable and easily wash in the washer to make it easy to always have one available for use.
2. Cotton Mop – Nine Forty Dust Mop for Hardwood Floors
- Made of high-quality natural cotton yarn
- Wide dust mop head that allows for quick and easy cleanup
- Adjustable handle and flexible mop head
- Durable mop handle and head
- Very great for picking up dirt and dust on hardwood floors
- Cannot be washed in the washer
This American-made dust mop from Nine Forty features a wide mop head that is made from high-quality cotton, with heavy-duty stitching that will improve the lifespan of the reusable mop heads.
The wide flat head allows for easy access to hard-to-reach areas such as under couches and appliances, and the adjustable aluminum handle is a great feature that gives you versatility and function to this already durable dust mop for hardwood floors.
For a budget-friendly dust mop that is great for hardwood floors, you can’t go wrong with the Nine Forty brand; it’s a good quality mop that is great for both residential and business uses.
3. Most Durable – Sladust Wool Dust Mop for Hardwood Floors
- Durable because of the high quality and natural wool and lanolin
- Great at picking up all manner of debris and particles, from dust to pet hair
- Easy to maneuver around furniture and get into hard to reach areas
- Velcro backing for the mop heads make it easy to remove and attach
- The mop heads are not machine washable
This highly durable wool dry mop from Sladust is constructed with lanolin and wool and has no chemicals included in the production process.
The durable mop handle is telescopic and is both strong and lightweight which makes it easy to maneuver around furniture and appliances without placing a strain on your back or legs.
The swivel head of the dust mop makes it easy to get around corners and hard-to-reach areas, and the replacement heads are easy to remove and install as needed.
These handmade mops are a great all-natural product that won’t harm the environment, and allow you to get a clean floor without the use of harsh chemicals or sprays.
4. Microfiber Mop Pad – 360 Dry Wet Dust Mop
- Able to achieve a professional-grade clean
- Highly durable materials
- Reusable mop heads that easily wash in the washing machine
- Easy to rotate and swivel the mop head
- Not found
Made from high-quality materials, this dry and wet dust mop from Turbo Microfiber is a great option that allows you to receive professional results at a fraction of the cost.
The mop heads are reusable and washable, which further increases the value that you are receiving from purchasing, and the mop handle is very lightweight and easy to use.
You will be able to rotate the mop head a full 360 degrees, giving you a high amount of versatility and maneuverability in your cleaning, and the mop pads attach easily to the head of the mop with velcro, allowing them to stay in place easily.
5. High Quality Material – JINCLEAN 24’’ Cotton Dust Mop for Floors
- Wide flat head allows for quick cleaning and accesses the hard-to-reach areas
- 100% cotton mop pads enable you to clean your floors and pick up dirt, dander
- No need to use any chemicals
- Lightweight handle that is adjustable and easy to use
- The head does not swivel
Perfect for either business or residential use, this dust mop features a wide mop head that is made of high-quality cotton, enabling you to clean your floors without the use of harsh chemicals, sprays, or additives.
This is a highly durable mop that will last a long time, and included in the purchase are two reusable and washable mop heads, adding to the amount of value that you receive.
Easy to use and lightweight, the durable mop handle is extendable which gives you even more flexibility in your cleaning routine, and the wide mop head is capable of cleaning those hard-to-reach areas such as under your coffee table or behind your couch.
6. Best Affordable – LINKYO Hardwood Floor Mop
- Professional quality with stainless steel handle
- Effective for picking up the dust on hardwood floors
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Swivel mop head that allows for easy cleanup behind and around furniture
- High-quality and extendable mop handle
- May not pick up as much dirt after continued wash cycles
A great budget-friendly option available for consumers, the hardwood floor mop from LINKYO features professional quality cleaning that is built to last and durable with a stainless steel handle and aluminum mop frame.
The handle is adjustable to fit in with your needs and is easy to maneuver around corners and furniture, allowing you to clean under and behind.
This dust mop features an easy-to-use and change clip design for the reusable mop heads and is wide enough to clean large surface areas quickly. Included in this purchase are 2 reversible microfiber mop pads and one standard mop pad, all of which are machine washable and reusable.
7. With Bendable Hnadle – Multifunctional Duster for All Surfaces
- Very versatile to clean any surfaces effectively
- Compact design that is easy to store
- Removable and machine washable dust pads that retain their shape even after being washed
- Allow you to clean areas that may have been previously impossible to reach
- Not not large surface
This compact and easy-to-use lightweight duster bends for easy storage and allows you to reach areas that would be otherwise inaccessible.
This easy to grip handle is comfortable to hold, and although it is lightweight, it is durable and will last a long time, even with repeated and consistent use.
In addition to your floors, the design of this duster allows you to reach many areas such as ceiling fans, on top of bookshelves, headboards.
The mop pads attract a lot of dust and allergens, leaving your home looking clean and allowing you to spend less time cleaning due to its fast and easy application.
8. Strong Mop Pole – All-in-one Kit Dust Mop for Hardwood Floors
- Works great on hardwood, laminate, and tile floors
- The mop will retain their shape and ability to pick up hair and dust after washed
- Telescopic and comfortable mop handle that adjusts to your needs
- Can be used as either a wet or dry mop
- Comes with three pads
- A little bit short
This impressive all-in-1 cleaning kit from Temples Pride is a great tool that you can use to clean a wide variety of areas in your home and is highly durable to keep up with you. This wide-angle mop makes it easy to reach areas such as under your stove and couch and can be used as a wet mop as well.
The cleaning pads are durable and machine washable so that you can use them repeatedly without worrying about them losing their cleaning ability, and the handle of this dust mop adjusts to your needs, giving you added versatility and mobility.
This lightweight mop is easy to use, and you will find that the amount of surface area that you can clean in a given time frame is higher than with other mops, all without using harmful chemicals or placing a strain on your back or joints.
How to Keep Dust off Hardwood Floors?
When it comes to keeping dust off hardwood floors, there are several ways you can do this. They include:
Removing your shoes to keep dust off
When you come from outside, you usually have a lot of dust. Therefore, removing your shoes before entering the house helps to keep dust off hardwood floors and minimizes the workload of cleaning.
Wiping away dust with a floor mat
A floor mat is essential. One of the best ways to keep dust off your floors is by having a doormat where people can wipe the dust off before entering the house.
Use microfiber dust mops to clean your hardwood floors efficiently
Microfiber mops are also quite efficient and helpful when it comes to removing dust from your hardwood floors. Therefore, that is one notable option you can consider to help keep dust off hardwood floors.
Clean your home regularly
We mentioned this earlier, and it’s self-explanatory. The best way to ensure you are keeping dust off your hardwood floors is by cleaning them regularly. Clean your entire home regularly, if possible.
Why Do Most People Choose Microfiber Dust Mop for Hardwood Floor?
A microfiber dust mop is highly preferred by many people for both home and commercial cleaning. These are the features that make it a brilliant cleaner:
A microfiber mop is made from fine synthetic fiber materials. It is machine washable, and thus can be used multiple times without having to replace it.
A microfiber mop is effective and efficient in cleaning since besides removing dust and debris, it also removes bacteria. Additionally, it is positively charged, making it effectively attract dust and dirt.
Microfiber filaments are safe on your hardwood floor since it is soft, thus not able to scratch the floor.
A microfiber mop is long-lasting and non-weary if you use it correctly. For increased durability, ensure you avoid chemicals such as bleach when cleaning and wash it regularly after cleaning. Maintenance is key when it comes to durability.
How to Clean Dust Mops After Cleaning?
Dust mops are always picking up dirt throughout. Therefore, there are times when a dust mop can pick up so much dust due to neglect that using it to clean your house can result in spreading even more dirt. That’s why you need to ensure you’re always cleaning your dust mop regularly as well.
In most cases, you can put the mop head in the washing machine and run it through a gentle cycle. However, mops such as the ones made with cotton may start falling apart in the washing machine. To safely clean dust mops, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Take a bucket and fill it with 1-2 gallons of water, then add laundry detergent and stir to mix it up.
- Take the dust mop off the frame. You can untie the dust mop or just slip it away from the frame of the metal, depending on the type of dust mop you are using.
- Take the dust mop and place it in the bucket that contains the warm soapy water, then stir well with a dowel or large spoon.
- Allow the mop head to soak for at least 1 hour.
- Get rid of the water you’ve used to clean the mop with, and then add new water together with detergent.
- Then, stir the dust mop inside the cleaning solution and allow it to soak again for some time.
- Take the dust mop and rinse it well with warm water followed by cold water then you rinse it and squeeze out the moisture.
- Finally, hang the mop outside to dry if the weather is warm.
Things MUST Keep in Mind to Care for Hardwood Floors
1. Take floor mats outside when you want to clean. When the weather is snowy or rainy, to avoid damaging the floors, you can set up a boot removal area.
2. Although you can also use a vacuum on hardwood floors, you have to ensure that you’re using the bare-floor setting on the vacuum cleaner because it helps to lift the beater bar, which is another potential cause of scratches on hardwood floors.
3. If you have sealed hardwood floors, you can use a wet mop with a solution of water and a hardwood floor cleaning solution of your choosing. But if your hardwood floors is unsealed, do not use wet mops.
4.Never use harsh chemicals like ammonia, bleach, undiluted vinegar, or pine oil and excess water when cleaning hardwood floors. Too much water will cause the floor to clip while harsh chemicals can permanently dull the finish.
Can I just be cleaning the hardwood floor with water?
You can use water to clean hardwood floors. But remember water is wood’s worst enemy. So, avoid wet mopping and use a damp mop rather than a wet one.
Can I use a dry and wet mop on a hardwood floor?
A dry and wet mop can be used to effectively clean a hardwood floor. When dry the mop removes dust, hair, dirt, and debris. When wet it removes stains and stubborn dirt.
You now see not every mop is meant to dust a hard floor, well this has been simplified for you in the above information. Therefore, before purchasing anything, always make sure that you go through a buying guide or factors that will determine you are finding the best dust mop in the industry.
Here are the overall product recommendations for your final choice