Are you looking for the best steam mop for hardwood floors? Well, perhaps you have just completed furnishing your room and installing hardwood floors and is wondering how to maintain it clean.
Well, steam mop for hardwood floors is the solution to this problem. It is designed to use water heated to a very hot vapor to clean and disinfect your hardwood floor. The hot vapor eliminates all germs on the wooden floor clearing all from the cracks.
If you are in a hurry to purchase a steam mop for a hardwood floor, pick one from our top recommendations.
- Quick Picks
Top-rated mop with large water tank to eliminate bacteria – BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop
With adjustable steam level settings and totally chemical-free – PurSteam Steam Mop
Quite easy to use and clean to pick up hairs and dirt – Bissell Steam Mop
Cylinder mop allowing you to reach a border place – Dupray Neat Steam Mop
Triangular mop pad and short heat-up time to get started – LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Floor Steamer
Will Steam Mops Damage Your Hardwood Floors?
No, but not all steam mops are good for your hardwood floors; so, be sure to check on those that are designed for hardwood floors. The reason why steam mop won’t damage your hardwood floors is that they have a feature that functions by wiping up excess moisture. It absorbs the water leaving the floor dry hence safe for your hardwood floor. By getting rid of water, your hardwood floor won’t warp.
What to Consider When Choosing Steam Mop?
Before you decide on what type or brand you should go for, you need to pay attention to the following considerations;
Will you be cleaning many corners or other tight spaces?
It is important to consider the size of the mob and its construction design. The best size should be based on your space such that, a larger space will require a bigger steam mop. Consequently, consider the corners of your space so that you can know the shape of the mop head to choose but we recommend that you go for a rectangular-shaped one.
What cleaning pads would be most suitable for your household?
When choosing the best steam mop, cleaning pads are always a key consideration. ensure that the cleaning pads are suitable for hardwood floors, fully washable with a suitable size. Their sizes usually dictate how effective they are when cleaning; therefore, we recommend large-sized mop pads or double-sided mop pads.
Here is a steam mop with a larger size which is perfect for cleaning hardwood floors – Shark Genius Pocket Steam Mop.
What is your budget?
Always consider the size of your budget before making any decision. Sample different brands based on your pocket to avoid much straining. But what makes these steam mops unique is that you can get an affordable brand. Generally, their prices usually range between $50 to $600.
Does it have multiple settings?
Different brands come with varying settings; so be conversant with the available settings. Some will allow you to vary the steaming based on the type of flooring you are cleaning. Similarly, some are equipped with modern settings that can sweep up debris during steaming.
How long it takes to heat?
You need to determine how quickly your option can start after switching it on. However, most people usually prefer those that heat up quickly but they are not the best option since they make them too hot to handle. Therefore, you may need to consider a type that takes at least 30 seconds to heat.
What is the water tank size?
Generally, if your option has a larger water tank, it will give you more time to clean between refills. Therefore, you may need to consider such an option. Most of the handheld steamers have a smaller capacity hence the shortest steam time. Usually, a steam mop holds about 11 to 13 ounces.
Top 10 Best Steam Mop for Hardwood Floors Reviews
Let’s see the 10 best steam mop for hardwood floors in depth.
1. Top Rated – BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop
- Lightweight and simple to use
- Smart set digital steam control to enhance efficiency and comfortability when using it
- High capacity water tank
- Easy to fill
- A long extension cord
- Fragrance disc enables you to deodorize your room
- Easy to use
- Short on additional features
BISSELL PowerFresh steam mop tops the list with its outstanding qualities. It is packed with a variety of special features. It is a handy tool to keep your wooden floors very clean and in comfortable conditions.
It comes with one microfiber soft pad, a single microfiber pad, two spring breeze fragrance discs, and a carpet glide to meets your cleaning needs.
- A 23-foot power cord
- It has a power rating of 1500 Watts
- 12 inches wide mop head
2. Best Seller – PurSteam Hardwood Steam Mop
- Lightweight and maneuverable
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to store and use
- Balanced if you want to use it handle held
- Adjustable steam level settings
- Completely chemical-free
- Child and pet safe
- They have to be washed after use
It is well balanced when you want to use it as a handle held. This mop can do all the cleaning for your room from cleaning bathroom tiles, kitchen tops, curtains and plenty – all done powerfully and most efficiently.
The steam mop has 3 level steam settings that give a wide cleaning path while equally reducing hot spots and focuses the steam on the right spots on your wooden floor.
- 3 adjustable modes enabling you to suitably turn steam level to work needs
- A large capacity of about 340 ml of tap water
- Clear instructions
- Weighs 2.2 pounds
- No batteries required
- Therma Pro 211 included
3. Great for pets – Bissell Steam Mop for Hardwood Floors
- Easy to set up and get started
- Pet mode for pet’s messes
- Avoid your hands from getting dirty
- Comes with everything you need
- Great for all hard floors
- The machine head is a bit small but enough
If you have an issue with your pets, then this is the ideal steam mop for hardwood. This mop allows you to vacuum up pet hair and dirt and steam clean your wooden floor.
With its natural powers steam from this mop helps to sanitize your floor eliminating more than 99.9% of germs on the wooden floor.
It comes with 1 microfiber soft pad, 1 microfiber scrubby pad, detachable mop pad tray, detachable Steam boost tray, and 4 Swiffer BISSELL steam boost disposable pads. Therefore, it can meet your various needs without buying attachments.
- 12.8 oz water tank capacity
- Steam function, vacuum function, and pet mode
- Weighing 10.6 pounds
- Dry tank technology
4. Best Affordable – Shark Steam Mop with Long Cord
- Very long cord for convenient cleaning
- Chemical-free cleaning
- Sanitizes with either side
- Great for hardwood floors and use on kitchen floors
- Very affordable price
- Takes some time to fill up the water container
Shark steam mob comes with Swivel Steering XL Water Tank. This mop is chemical-free making it very environmentally friendly. It comes with Swivel steering.
The mop has the longest cord that enables you to clean those areas out of reach in your homes and rooms. It helps you to avoid causing streaks on your hardwood floors as in the case of scrubbing.
- Weighs 4.87 pounds
- A volume of 3.15 fluid ounces
- A steam pocket mop and a rectangular mop head
5. With Triangular Mop Pad – LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Floor Steamer
- Fast and efficient
- Easily heats up in less than 30 seconds and equally dries very fast
- Has a flexible handle with a 360-degree rotation allowing easy operation and maneuvering along the edges and corners of the wooden floors
- No batteries required
- Replacements are required for its parts with continued use
Everything is all about quality and power. This steam mop is very powerful and comes with Swivel steering allowing for easy maneuver on corners during cleaning.
Square shaped allows for easy maneuvering around corners of the wooden floor to ensure maximum sanitation and cleanliness of the floor.
It is a great choice for you to clean the tight place such as the under table and corner owing to its small and special shape.
- An automatic steam control; enables the user to adjust preferably to the right steam levels
- Has a smart 2.0 sensor
- Weighs 4.1 pounds
6. Cylinder Mop – Dupray Neat Steam Mop for Multiple Use
- Due to its long hose, it can be used to clean almost every part of the room
- A large tank capacity combating the problem of refilling it during cleaning
- Comes with many attachments, suiting a wide array of cleaning tasks
- Easy to control the steam using trigger switch
- Works on all surfaces
- Has a retractable handle
- Relatively heavy and bulky due to its large tank capacity
As its name suggests, this cool steam mop is very neat and stylish with a wide array of functions. Talk about cleaning even the sofa sets at your home. This mop does it all.
Features as long cord, it can be used on cars and walls besides cleaning wall. Besides, its water tank is super large, therefore you
- A generous 1.6-liter water tank. This solves the problem and frustrations of refilling it time and again
- A 4.9-meter cord with a 2-meter hose enabling you to clean almost every part of your room including walls and kitchen tops
- Powerful 1500w, heating steam to high temperatures.
- 1500 Watts heating system
- A long 2m hose
7. Multifunctional Mop – Bissel All-in-One Vacuum and Steam Mop
- Customized digital touch controls make it easy to use
- Easy to change and replace mop pads
- Ensures 99.9% sanitization in a chemical-free manner
- Vacuums and cleans floors at the same time
- It does not clean grout
Are you looking for a steam mop to vacuum and clean your floors at the same time? Bissel All-in-one vacuum and steam mop is the best solution for you. It has an exclusive Drop-IT Tank Emptying System which prevents your hard from getting dirty.
Designed with dry tank technology, this mop keeps moisture out of the tank while cleaning this ensures that the debris inside remains dry.
- Easy touch digital controls for steam function and vacuum faction
- Comes with a microfiber soft pad and a detachable mop pad tray
- A powerful cyclonic vacuum
- Washable microfiber pads
- Weighs 9.74 lb
- A water tank capacity of 12.8 oz
- A one-demand steam control
8. Fashion and Lightweight – Shark Steam Mop Hard Floor Cleaner
- Clears all grease and grime leaving out no chemicals, residues or dirt
- Easy to use as maneuvering it over the wooden floor is easy
- Easy to refill taking a short time
- Lightweight and compact
- Affordable as it is relatively cheap
- It can be dangerous to children if kept recklessly
This, too, is a chemical-free sanitizer for wooden floors. it comes with a large water tank capacity with varying household conditions and results.
It is quite nice to hardwood floors in the kitchen, since it can clear all grease and grime leaving out no chemicals, residues or dirt.
- Water capacity of 12.68 fluid ounces
- Weighs 4.6 pounds
- Comes with 2 dirt grip pads and an adjustable water tank
9. Detachable Stam Mop – PurSteam Multifunctional Steam Mop
- Safe to use and pet-friendly
- Guaranteed sanitation to satisfaction
- Multifunctional and it can be used to clean almost every part of the room
- Easy to assemble
- Washable heads
- Long cord
- Affordable price
- The design of the handle is just ok
- The water tank is a bit small
This is an easily detachable handle-held steam mop for handling hardwood floors’ sanitization. It is multifunctional. You can use it to clean the floors, tiles, to refresh your house curtains and carpets.
It is a detachable mop with a triangular mop head, therefore you can use it in any place including tight spots.
With various accessories, you are able to clean the mirror, grout, and walls without using chemicals. It is also a perfect mop for the dog family since it performs very well on removing dog urine and odor.
- Unique triangular shape, which enables it to reach even the hard-0toreach areas of your room.
- Comes with two pads and 3 little scrubbers
- Weighs 6.3 pounds
- Measures 27.9 by 10.4 by 4.4 inches
10. Doubl Side Mop Head – Shark Genius Hard Floor Steam Mop
- Three stem levels enable you to adjust the steam power appropriately during use
- Reusable cleaning pads
- Easy to use since it has good maneuvering ability
- Easily and efficiently cleans the edges of the wooden floors and the corners as well
- A 22-foot power cord has a sufficient length
- Heads up quickly
- The water tank could be a bit larger
This is an ideal tool to maintain flooring without resorting to hard scrubbing. These upright floor steamers give you a nice and cool mix of power and convenience with cool blasting functions and its flexible cleaning pad.
The double side mop allows you to clean the areas without wash your mop pad frequently. And the materials are relatively thick to absorb more water and ensuring their durability.
- Comes with 3 steam levels from which you can choose depending on the cleaning role
- Steam blaster function
- Weighs 5.7 pounds
- 22” length cord
- Water capacity of 220 ml
- Genius head with direct steam channeling
- Comes with blaster technology
- Customized touch technology
What Are Most Popular Mop Brands?
Shark and Bissell are two famous steam mop manufacturers, read the following part to get more information about them.
Shark is a home cleaning specialist that offers the best steam cleansers with different styles and settings.
The standout models are genius, steam pocket, and lift-away with unique features. Shark features powerful functionality and is suitable for most surfaces including hardwood floors. And the best seller is Shark Steam Pocket Mop S3501. Click here to buy.
Similarly, it doesn’t consume much time to heat up, weigh less, and suitable steam pressure best for hardwood floor cleaning.
Bissel is an iconic brand with its best-known Powerfresh and Symphony steam mops. Their construction is based on the current designs which makes them suitable for hard-to-reach areas such as corners and crevices. And the best seller of Powerfresh mop is Powerfresh Steam Mop 1940. Click here to buy.
They come with washable pads for reuse with a vacuum steam mop cleaner for cleaning both wet and dry messes at the same time. Bissel has less heat-up time hence you can easily start using it.
What Types of Hardwood Floor Should Avoid Using Steam Mop?
Solid and engineered hardwood floor can be cleaned with a steam mop. However, you need to pay attention to the floor types that can not be steam cleaned.
Unsealed hardwood floors:
Steam mopping unsealed hardwood floors will leave the surfaces wet since it creates moisture. This factor will cause the wood to swell and warp. However, a dust mop will be a suitable option since it adds life to your floor.
Recently waxed hardwood floors:
using a steam mop on recently waxed floors will melt the was due to heating and hence destroying the finish. So, avoid steam mopping at all costs if you want your recently waxed surface to have a lasting life. However, damp mopping is the best option for such floors.
How Should I Clean My Hardwood Floors?
Step 1: Clean the floors
Start off by cleaning the floors you are just about to mop. The purpose of this is to eliminate all the finer dust particles. Follow this by sealing any cracks that may trap the fibers of the mop as you clean your surfaces.
Step 2: Prep the steam mop
Move ahead now to prep the steam mop. This is something you do principally by filling the water canister and a pH neutral cleaning solution. Go ahead to position the mop strategically in readiness for cleaning.
Step 3: Position the filter and the mop
Now, you have to check to be sure that the filter is clean before setting out to clean out your floor. While at this stage, place the canister firmly in a position to let it heat the water and convert the same to steam.
Step 4: Trigger the cleaner to release the steam
With everything set firmly in place, this is the time for you to trigger the cleaner to do its work. How you do this typically varies greatly from model to model. In many models, you will have to push it forward to release the steam. This you follow with pulling it back to spread the steam across the floor.
Step 5: Impact the entire area wholly
Start cleaning from one corner of the room. Thereafter, move to the other corner. To this repeatedly until the entire length and breadth of the room are wholly impacted. For more enduring impacts, you have to make several passes atop a floor surface.
Stains cleaning tips:
Besides basic cleaning, you may found that your floor needs spot cleaning. Black stains usually appear as a result of pet mess, water spots food spillage, bloodstains, and incorrect use of a steam mop. But here are the tips to remove black stains;
Prepare your hardwood floor by removing any loose dirt or grit.
Use a clean or new pad for efficient black stain removal.
Soft clean the spot to avoid much penetration which can damage the hardwood floor
Be sure to remove excess water once you are done removing the black stain to protect the wood from warping
Things Never Do when Cleaning Hardwood Floor With Steam Mops
When it comes to cleaning hardwood floors, you will realize that the cleaning habit differs from other floors due to their sensitivity to steaming. Therefore, be sure to avoid the following:
- Never leave too much water on the surfaces which can damage your hardwood floor.
- Never use harsh chemicals since they can damage the hardwood seal.
- Never use overheat steam since it can damage your hardwood floor.
- Never use your steam mop for long in one spot.
Does steam mop really work on hardwood floors?
YES. This steam that is generated by the mops does dampen the microfiber pads. In this way, they loosen and eliminate the stains and dirt from off surfaces. While at it, they also kill bacteria and other harmful germs that may be present on the floors.
Are steaming hardwood floors better than mopping?
Yes, at some point you may have experienced a challenge when cleaning your hardwood floor but with the best steam mop, getting rid of dirt is like taking candy from the baby. Unlike mopping, cleaning persistent stains isn’t easy and you may not achieve your best.
Can steam mops be used on other types of flooring?
Yes, steam mops are safe to use laminate flooring, any kind of vinyl floor, porcelain or ceramic tiles, and more.
Steam mops are very handy when it comes to the elimination of germs and managing faster cleaning outcomes. You hence can never gamble with your search and subsequent use of the same.
You can go through all of the recommendations quickly and make a decision