Spills and stains are unavoidable. They can be quite frustrating to eliminate, but with homemade floor cleaner, you can successfully get rid of them.
Regardless of the stain type or dirt, there are homemade cleaning agents that can erase any mess. Here’s a guide for producing homemade floor cleaners.
How to Make a Homemade Cleaner for Your Floors?
Do you want to make cleaners for your floors? Below are some of the ingredients, tools, and steps to take in producing these cleaners.
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup alcohol
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp dish soap
- 5 -10 drops of essential oil or lemon juice (optional)
For a stronger solution, use 1 cup of water instead. If you want to produce the cleaning agent in large quantities, increase the amount of ingredients.
- Spray bottle
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mix all the ingredients in a container and shake gently for even distribution.
- Spray a given floor area and wipe clean.
- Store the remaining content in the spray bottle and keep away from heat as it’s highly flammable.
Functions of these ingredients include the following:
- Water acts as a mixing agent for ingredients. It also loosens dirt.
- White vinegar helps in disinfection.
- Alcohol acts as a disinfectant and helps in the cleaning of floors.
- Liquid dish soap reduces dirt by breaking the bonds between grimes and floors.
- Essential oils have a sweet-smelling fragrance which reduces the smell of vinegar and alcohol. Some of these oils include lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint and others.
Safety Tips when Making Cleaning Solution at Home
Cleaning agents can be harmful if not handled with care. Below are safety precautions to take when making these cleaning solutions.
- Read labels to ensure you’re using the cleaning product as instructed. The label indicates surfaces to apply the product on, the quantity to use, and the duration it will take to be effective.
- Ensure you don’t mix products as it can be quite dangerous. Use the cleaner according to the directions stated on the label.
- Use cleaning products with caution and store safely, keeping them out of reach of children and pets.
- Use home cleaners in mild quantity.
- Ensure you discard your cleaner in the right way.
Can Homemade Floor Cleaner Tackle with Tough Stains?
Yes, homemade floor cleaners can eliminate tough stains on surfaces. For beverage stains on surfaces, clean with hydrogen peroxide.
Immerse a cleaning cloth into the cleaning agent and apply it on the affected area.
You can use bleach to remove blood stains. Adopting the 1:10 method, add a cup of bleach to ten cups of water and stir vigorously.
Add the solution to the smeared area and wipe clean. If you want to remove gum or wax stains, rub ice cubes on the specific region and allow it to stay for a while before using a stick to remove the hard substance.
Clean the area with solvent. Wash with water and allow to dry.
Eliminate permanent markers or stains with hydrogen peroxide.
Other Places Floor Cleaner Can Be Used on
Homemade cleaners made from distilled water, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, dish soap, and essential oil act as all-purpose cleaning agents.
These cleaners can be used on surfaces like glass, cabinets, countertops, stainless steel, porcelain, walls, acrylic, among others. In cleaning carpets, you’ll have to use carpet cleaners.
Some natural carpet cleaners include powdered cleaning solutions made from baking powder, corn starch, bay leaves, and potpourri.
It’s not ideal to spray floor cleaner on mirrors or kitchen ventilators as it can leave streaks on them.
Now you’re well-acquainted with how to make homemade floor cleaner. Besides that, you’ve glean tips on how to handle cleaning products, clean tough stains, and surfaces. Guess you’ve learned some valuable tips. Are you making your cleaning agent soon? Do let us know in the comment box. Don’t hoard this knowledge! Share with your loved ones.