Carpet cleaning can be a tedious task, but using the ideal cleaning method makes the process easy. Steam cleaning is a process of removing dirt particles that stick deep on the carpet fiber. Also, using a steam mop is an excellent way of stain removing, disinfecting, and cleaning carpet.
All you need is water, detergent, and a steam cleaner. Using a steam mop leaves your carpet refreshed and clean as new. This process is easy and does not need the services of a professional carpet cleaner.
How to Clean a Carpet with a Steam Mop?
1. Remove All Items From the Floor
First, you need to remove lightweight furniture and loose items like toys from the carpet. Steam carpet mops are run by pulling or pushing them, and having cluttered all over the rug slows the cleaning process.
Therefore removing the items will allow quick removal of dirt and stains on the carpet by the carpet mop and prevent wood pieces furniture and other decors from damage. For that furniture that is heavy for you to move from the rug, you should wrap their legs with waterproof tape or aluminum foil. Wrapping the furniture legs will deter them from the hot steam as you slide the mop nearby.
>>Recommended Steam Mop for Carpet – PurSteam 10-in-1 Steam Mop<<
2. Dust All the Surfaces Thoroughly
You should remove dirt from all surfaces, including picture frames, baseboards, window sills, ceiling fans, among others, before cleaning the carpet so that it will not fall on the carpet after you are done with the cleaning.
3. Vacuum the Carpet Thoroughly
Steam mops remove dirt particles lodged in the carpet’s fibers but do not remove hair and large loose dirt on the top layer. Vacuum the carpet thoroughly and remove this dirt that can clog the steam cleaner.
It is advisable to vacuum the rug twice to get as much trash as possible. When cleaning for the first time, run the vacuum slowly in one direction and, for the second time, do it in the opposite direction thoroughly. This step improves the effectiveness of the cleaning by assisting the steam mop in reaching the carpet fibers.
>>Recommended Vacuum for Carpet – BISSELL Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner<<
- Buy Bissell, save pets; Bissell donates up to 10 dollars to the Bissell pet foundation for every pet product purchase, upon activation
- Powerful pet hair pick up with triple action brush roll + scatter free technology
- Swivel steering to easily maneuver around furniture and other obstacles
- Clean edges and corners with edge to edge cleaning. Cleaning path width: 13.5 inch
- Remove pet hair with specialized pet tools including pet hair corner tool and pet tool
- Bottom, easy empty dirt bin makes emptying quick and mess free. Hose length: 6 feet
- Replacement filter style 12141
- Dirt cup capacity 1.0 liter
4. Treat Spot Stains
Use stain remover or other natural solutions to pre-treat specific stains because a steam mop cannot remove all sorts of stains. Spray your remover directly to the stain and leave it for a while until you steam clean the carpet. Also, you can use a cloth to blot it up.
5. Secure the Glider
Attach the carpet glider in the steam mop head before plugging into an outlet because some machines start automatically, and the hot steam can scald you. Use the user manual to ensure that you attach it properly. Use a little pressure to snap into place on the glider.
6. Fill the Tank
Add the steam mop tank with hot water and detergent. Fill the water tank to its maximum capacity indicated on the user manual or the container to prevent the frequent need for addition.
Most steam mop tanks have an average size of 16 fluid ounces. You should also check the ideal type of detergent for your steam cleaner on the machine’s instructions. Also, do not add so much detergent because it can ruin the carpet and impair the cleaner. In case you are sensitive to chemicals or prefer a natural solution, you can opt for a vinegar solution. You prepare the solution by mixing water and vinegar.
7. Steam Clean the Carpet
Before you start to steam, you should figure out how you will clean the entire room efficiently. For a successful cleaning process, you should consider observing the following methods:
- Start in the far corner of the room – It is advisable to start steam cleaning from the far corner of your room diagonally from the entrance and work backward. This method is the most effective because it prevents you from walking over on the wet and clean parts.
- Clean in straight lines – The best method of attaining a thorough steaming of your carpet is by working in portions.
- Moving the steam mop straight along the mat ensures that you do not miss out on any of the spots. You can easily trace where you have cleaned and where next. Passover the same line 2 times for a more effective clean.
- Move the machine slowly – Steam mops work slower than vacuums. Therefore for you to achieve a successful cleaning process, you should moderate your speed.
When you pull the steam mop too fast, it will leave the carpet wetter and later cause mildew or mold. A reasonable rate will be taking at least 2 seconds in one step giving the machine enough time to perform.
8. Allow Your Carpet to Dry Thoroughly
Steam cleaning a rug does not leave it overly wet. However, the moisture does not escape instantly, and you should not walk over it because it can get dirty again. It requires 4 to 12 hours for the carpet to get rid of the moisture.
To facilitate faster drying, you can set up a dehumidifier in the middle of the room, turn on fans or open the window in the room to enable the moisture to escape easily.
Cleaning a carpet using a steam mop is an excellent way of performing a routine weekly cleaning of your flooring. It removes dirt particles that lie deep down the carpet fabric. To use this machine, you do not need professional cleaning services, but you do it yourself. You first remove furniture on top of the carpet and vacuum the room to remove dust and hair.
In case of any stains, you should pre-treat because not all stains are removable by the steam cleaner. Then attach the glider to the head of the steam mop and fill the tank to the maximum capacity. Start steaming your room from the far corner of the room and clean along a straight line. Finally, leave your carpet to dry completely to prevent mold and mildew later on.