Mops should be well taken care of because that is what cleans our floors, but most people tend to ignore this. Some mops carry more bacterias and dirt than you think.
So, you should always make sure that your mop heads are clean and dry before the next use. Reading to get the tips on how to clean a mop!
How to Clean a Dust and Wet Mop Head?
Mops heads should always be cleaned because cleaning them helps prevent the spread of bacteria hence keeping them working at their best.
Some mop heads are made from cotton fiber, and when it’s left for long without being cleaned they can develop bacteria and molds, a clean mop works best always soak mop heads overnight. There are several steps you need to follow when cleaning mop heads and are:
Mop with detachable mop head
1. Re-attach the mop heads from the handles and place the mop heads into a deep sink or inside a lot of water in a bucket.
2. Pour soap and bleach on the mop head and add boiling water, ensure that the fibers are all inside the water (submerged).
3. Use hot water to rinse the soap and bleach from the mop heads; you can now hang them to dry.
4. Return the mop heads to the handles and ensure that you tighten them well. Every other time you use your mop to ensure that the mop heads are clean don’t leave them dirty even for a single day.
5. You can put also these in the washing machine. But be conscious of what you’ll use to wash. You won’t need the dirt from the mop transferring to your delicate clothes. If your mop is spongy, you can put it in a dishwasher. This procedure is applicable to sponge mops and microfiber mop types.
6. Dust mop heads have a bad smell, and they easily get damaged. Therefore, if you want to cut the cost of buying new mops every now and then you need to keep them clean.
Mops with fixed heads
Most people prefer using natural products like vinegar for cleaning the home. You can also use bleach to disinfect the mop. String mop types belong to this category, and you can also follow the tips to clean industrial mop with large mop head.
If your mop head is not detachable, fill a bucket with an equal quantity of bleach and water. Dunk your mop into the solution and leave it to sit for about 15 minutes. After soaking, rinse until all the water is fine and the bleach is neutralized.
How to Clean the Mop with a Bucket?
To clean the mop bucket, protect yourself using gloves. Sometimes, the dirty water stored in the bucket may have dirt residue containing bacteria and harmful contaminants that you can’t handle with your hands.
- Rinse the mop well using warm water.
- Put one gallon of water and a cup of bleach in a mop bucket. Don’t use bleach if you use a cleaning solution. Instead, use hot water and vinegar. The aim is to avoid a mixture of bleach and ammonia that may produce dangerously toxic gas.
- Leave the bleach solution to remain in the bucket for a minimum of five minutes.
- Scrub the inner part of the bucket with a scouring sponge.
- Wash all chambers and attachments using the bleach solution.
- When you’re sure the bucket is neat, rinse off using plain water and turn it upside down, so the water drains off.
It is important to disinfect your mop bucket weekly because it always contacts dirt.
How to Clean the Steam Mop?
Step 1. The first step to cleaning your steam mop is unplugging it from the power outlet. You won’t want an accident, so you must keep your steam mop unplugged.
Step 2. Ensure the steam mop is empty, don’t be tempted to leave the steam mop with water in the tank when you’re not using it, and develop a bad smell, so it is best to empty the tank after each use.
Step 3. Clean the water tank properly because it often gathers dirt and grime. Sometimes cloudy limescale may develop, and it’s best to remove it using vinegar. Dilute the vinegar with lots of water because it is acidic. Clean with a cloth and ensure the water tank is very dry before putting it back to the machine.
Step 4. Clean the nozzle of the water tank occasionally. Hard water often contains minerals and limestone, and they can block the nozzle over time. Steam mops like the Bissell steam mops need a screwdriver to remove the base plate, usually located in the base. Shark steam mops come with a nozzle cleaner you can use in unblocking the nozzle.
Step 5. Change or wash the mop pads. After every use, it is after washing the mop to stop the build-up of bacteria. If your pads are disposable, change them and attach another one to your mop head.
Step 6. Wipe the exterior of the steam mop, including anywhere moisture, is spotted. Do this with a dry cloth, and you can store it afterward.
Can You Machine-wash Your Mop Head?
You can wash your mop head in a machine using a gentle cycle with hot water and soft detergent.
Squeeze out excess water and hang the mop head on a rack or line to dry before using again. You can machine-wash a mop with a detachable head and put it straight into the machine.
It’s best to wash your mop head with other cleaning materials and pour bleach into the washer to sanitize it. After that, wring out the mop and leave to dry.
How to Remove the Odor from a Smelly Mop?
To eliminate odor from a smelly mop:
- Mix one cup of white vinegar and a gallon of hot water.
- Allow the mop head to soak for a certain amount of time, about ten minutes, before wringing it out.
- Leave it outside to dry in the sun.
- Store your mop upside down. You can use a few household essentials you have at home, like salt, coffee, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, etc., to neutralize the foul odor from your smelly mop.
When Should I Replace a Mop Head?
When you look at your mop and you notice that it’s getting old, tired, or worn out, giving off a nasty odor, or having a fun color that’s a clear indication that the mop head needs to be changed. An old mop will not work as it is required to, a mop that has bits missing from the head will not perform a good task making the mopping operation longer and tougher.
There is no point of using a mop that gives you a hard time simply replacing the mop heads as soon as it starts to wear off.
Guides on Taking Care of Mops in Daily Use
Just like any other piece of furniture, a mop should be taken care of. Mops are wonderful tools for keeping our floors clean. Most of us do not know how to clean a mop; you should not worry because here are several ways of how to clean them.
1. Rinse the Mop After Each Use
After using a mop, ensure that you rinse them thoroughly; don’t leave your mop dirty. Rinse any cleaning solution and dirt from the mop; dirt will spread grime the next time you use it while the residue remains damaging a mop.
2. Wash Your Mop
There is a difference between washing and rinsing, in this case, your mop should be washed and if it’s machine washable, use a washing machine to clean it while if it can not be washed by machine use a mixture of water and bleach to clean the mop, soak the mop head in the mixture for about 15 minutes and then rinse the mop head until the water turns clear indicating that it is clean.
3. Give it Time to Dry
Make sure that the mop dries well to prevent bacteria from growing, for your mop to dry well wring it out as much as possible after that place the mop head outside; the sunshine will kill bacteria and mold. The main reason why a mop head should dry out well is to prevent the growth of bacteria and mildew.
4. Properly Store the Mop
Your mop is already clean; you are, therefore, needed to store it in a cool, dry place. Hang it somewhere and ensure that the mop head does not brush against the floor.
Where Should I Store My Mop?
A mop should be stored in a cool, dry place that’s the perfect storage location. Hang it so that it does not brush against the floor, mops should be stored on a wall-mounted rack. Most homes do not have utility rooms, but you can store them under the stairs or on available spaces in one of your wardrobes.
Remember that you can’t store them at this place when they are not clean or dirty. Set aside whatever space you can and if you don’t have enough space, install a low height shelf and hooks on the inside of the door where you can hang your mops.
Most people love hanging their brooms at their bathrooms, the best way to store your mops is in the utility closet because it has hooks that you can hang your mops.
How often should I clean my mop?
Replace your mop head so that it does not give you a hard time when cleaning, replace them every two or three months if you use it frequently.
Can shark and Bissell mop pad be washed?
You can rinse your steam mop pads after soaking them. If they are not too dirty, or you’re in a hurry, you can leave them in a washing machine. Choose the delicate or hand-wash cycle so it prolongs the pad’s life with little use of detergent.
Can I wash my mop with vinegar?
Vinegar often serves as a cleaning agent. To clean your mop with vinegar, fill a bucket with hot water and add a little white vinegar. It will help get rid of grease and oils from your mop. Soak the mop in vinegar solution for about five minutes and rinse off the mop head till the water is neat.