From the ability to withstand heavy foot traffic and enhanced durability to affordability, you will find vinyl floors to be the best. Most importantly, it will suffice to mention how easy these floors are to maintain. As long as you give them the shine they so deserve, you will be good to go. However, the big concern is whether you will comfortably attain this shine in the long run.
Various things go into getting an excellent vinyl floor shine. Understanding these elements will be vital in improving not only the shine but also the durability of your floor. Here are a few insights you will want to keep in mind.
How to Get My Vinyl Floors Shine?
As mentioned, lots of things go into ensuring that your vinyl floor regains or maintains its elegance. Undoubtedly, how glowing this floor is will have an impact on how beautiful your interior décor will be. It is in this regard that you will need to invest not only enough effort but also the time in this project.
Most often, this process will involve two critical stages, which could further be subdivided. Cleaning the floor and applying a new finish will often come out as the utmost steps. We take a look at each of these steps and how to make them useful.
Clean the Floor
The journey to having a high-gloss shine begins by thoroughly cleaning your floor. Remember, unless you embrace this thoroughness, both dirt and debris will compromise your eventual results.
That the cleaning process of your vinyl floor is straightforward is an understatement. All you will need for this procedure is a mop and clean water. Things become better if you have excellent cleaning products. Always follow these steps.
Vacuum the Floor
Preferably, it would be best if you aimed at reaching even the least accessible spots. Through this, you will make wet mopping much more straightforward.
Cleanse the Floor
Did you know that apple cider vinegar is the ultimate cleanser for vinyl floors? It comes with an acidity whose ability to remove dirt and grime. All this will get achieved without necessarily building soap or wax. Well, you could also use grape juice or mustard. Most importantly, use a soft, nylon-bristle brush to remove these stains.
Apply New Gloss
Indeed, there are instances when cleaning is not enough for the best results. In such instances, applying this new finish will come in handy. Usually, this process comes immediately after removing the old finish and thoroughly cleaning your floor. Here is what you will do during this stage.
- Use a sponge mop to apply the new finish
- Always start from one side of the room to the other
- Apply in light, uniform strokes at all times
- Leave the room for at least 48 hours, and at nothing above 65 degrees F, as this allows for drying
- Feel free to apply the second coat
- Ensure that you do not wash this floor for the next five days
Above all, if you want to maintain this outfit and sheen, always ensure that you do not wax it. That is because wax rarely adheres to this coating.
How to Get Scratches Out Of Vinyl Flooring?
You can hardly overlook the importance of having a scratch-free vinyl floor. From an improved appearance to better chances of lasting long, this is something that will offer you value for money.
Usually, this process involves a few elements that you will want to take into account. They will include the following.
1. Clean Your Floor – Nothing could be more imperative than deep-cleaning your floor at this time. Usually, you will need enough warm water and dish soap during this stage.
2. Sand the Floor – Sanding your vinyl floor comes in handy in not only smoothing but also buffing out scratches. Preferably, embrace light strokes during the entire process, as this will guarantee you better results.
3. Use Car Wax
It is only when removing scratches that you will find car wax as a reliable buffing agent.
On the other hand, you could rely on a more straightforward process that involves the following steps.
- Ensure that your room has enough ventilation
- Apply a thinner on a soft rag and clean wipe the affected area
- After thoroughly rubbing the area, remove any residue present
- Place strips of masking tape around the affected area
- Pour a little seam sealer on this surface and allow it to dry
- Remove the tape
Tips for Keeping Vinyl Floors Shine?
Indeed, the ultimate goal of any homeowner is to have a long-lasting floor. However, unless you understand how to achieve this, your goal will remain a mirage.
It is in that light that you should have a few tips on how to preserve the sheen of your vinyl flooring.
Some of them will include the following.
1. Use mats – Did you know that door mats help in sieving the dirt and dust that gets to your vinyl floor? This way, you will be sure that there will be minimal abrasion that could scratch your floor in the long run.
It will always be vital to keep away from latex or rubber mats, as they could result in negative chemical interaction with the floor.
2. Regular cleaning – As long as you keep cleaning your floor from time to time, there will be no reason to worry about its sheen.
This approach ensures that there is no buildup of grime, dust, or dirt. That way, there will be no room for the floor to lose its shine in the long run.
3. Frequent shining – Take the time to shine your floor whenever necessary. It will be a great addition to cleaning your floor. What matters the most during this process is that you should refrain from using solvent-based polishes.
4. Use shampoo – As odd as it might seem, using shampoo is one of the best strategies for maintaining the shine of your vinyl floor. Ensure that you mix it with warm water, and rinse and mop with a damp mop.
5. Apply the right cleanser – It is hard to overstate how valuable cleansing your vinyl floor is. By using the right cleaning products, you will be confident of enhanced longevity and improved glamor. Apple cider vinegar will always be the ultimate choice for you.
FAQs About Making Vinyl Flooring Shine
1. Can I put wax on vinyl floors?
Most often, experts suggest that you do not wax your vinyl floor, especially if it is the newer model. That is because waxing could expose your floor to fading. Instead, you can rely on vinyl floor polish whenever you need to improve the sheen.
2. Can I use baby oil to improve the shine of vinyl floors?
Baby oil has indeed proven to be one of the most reliable elements when cleaning vinyl floors. A few drops of this oil will be enough to give you the ultimate glam you have been desiring. Mostly, you will need to use it alongside warm water and vinegar if you need the best results. However, it will suffice to keep in mind that it works when the stains are not very stubborn.
3. Can I make my vinyl shine without waxing?
Indeed, waxing is not the only way for you to improve the sheen of your vinyl floor. Interestingly, vinyl floor polish has proven to be more reliable. You could also rely on apple cider vinegar and baby oil at this point. Did you know that regular cleaning will also come n handy for you?
In conclusion, vinyl floors are some of the best that you could ever get. Besides their durability and improved appeal, these floors tend to be easy to maintain. Take the time to understand how to clean them and even polish them whenever necessary.
It is through this that you will be confident of reaping the value for your money in the long run. Fortunately, the insights provided above will guide you through this process.