Before you begin steam cleaning, you should know what you’re steam cleaning. Blazers can be steam cleaned, but there are lots of rules and precautions to follow to prevent damage.
The question is how to steam clean your blazer? Don’t worry. You’ll know how as you’re reading through this guide so you can avoid any mistakes.
Steps to Steam Clean Your Blazer Without Leaving Wrinkles
Step 1: Get your equipment ready. Handheld steam cleaners work best for cleaning clothing fabrics. Fill up your steam cleaner with water and wait for it to heat up. If you don’t see any steam coming from the attachment you have on, then it’s not hot enough.
Step 2: Clean from top to bottom. Start at the top and work your way down so you’ll be starting at the shoulders.
Step 3: Start from left to right. When cleaning, clean from left to right to assure that you have covered every inch of your blazer.
Step 4: Clean the insides. Don’t forget the inside of your blazer. The inside could get wrinkled too. You’re going to do the same thing as the previous steps. Start from the top to the bottom and lightly clean all the way through.
Step 5: Don’t forget the back. You can’t do one side of your blazer without doing the other side. It won’t look great if you miss that part. You don’t want to go around wearing a blazer where one side is wrinkle-free, and the other side has wrinkles all over it. Again, repeat the above steps. Clean from top to bottom and left to right.
Precautions to Take When Cleaning Your Blazer
- Don’t be afraid of the heat. Put your steam cleaner on the blazer away from you. If you have it too close to you, you will get burned.
- Look at the tag inside your blazer. On the tag, it will say what kind of fabric was used to make that jacket. Fabrics are important because you cannot steam clean all fabrics.
- You may be unsure. If the tag on the inside of your blazer does not say the name of a fabric, then it’s best to leave it for the professionals to tackle. It’s best to be safe than sorry later.
1. How long will it take to steam clean your blazer?
For you to steam clean your blazer or your suit, it doesn’t take long at all. It may sound like it will take hours because of the steps you have to take, but it will only take about 20 minutes at the most.
2. How do you steam clean a blazer so it won’t damage the jacket?
Hang up the jacket high enough so you can clean every inch of your blazer. Be sure that you’re lightly steam cleaning. If you don’t, you may see some dark spots on your blazer that aren’t supposed to be there.
3. What fabrics are okay to use with steam cleaning a blazer?
You can use any type of fabric out there to steam clean your blazer. However, if the tag says it’s made with velvet fabric, you cannot steam clean it. You will have to take it to the dry cleaner.
4. My blazer smells pretty bad. Will steam cleaning get the smell out so it can smell new again?
Yes. Go through the process of steam cleaning your jacket, and then smell your blazer. If it still smells pretty bad, you will need some other cleaners to take the smell away. If you’re unsure what you can put on it to keep your blazer from smelling so bad, take it to the dry cleaners. You don’t want to ruin your suit if you’re unsure about what to use. Again, it’s best to be safe rather than sorry.
5. Can I steam clean the wool blazer?
You ‘d better not.
Steam cleaning your blazer is a simple task. It may take you some time when you steam clean it for the first time, but you will get the hang of it and catch on pretty quickly. Hopefully, all your questions have been answered and we have covered everything you need to know about steam cleaning your blazer.