Marble is one of the most expensive flooring options for bathrooms today. This is because it offers that luxurious look to your bathrooms. While it is an upscale material, you need to clean it regularly to maintain its elegance. Knowing how to clean your marble floor in bathroom yourself can be beneficial for you since you will save up some dollars, which you would have spent in hiring cleaning experts.
Below, I have organized a guide for you to enable you to clean your marble bathroom floor.
Tools and Accessories Needed for Cleaning Marble Floors in Bathroom
- Regular mop
- Mild non-acidic floor cleaner
- Stone sealant
- Smooth towel
- Vacuum cleaner
- Thin blade
- Regular Lacquer
- Marble cleaner
What to Know When Choosing a Good Marble Floor Cleaner?
a) Use a cleaner with a low pH in acidity because highly acidic cleaners may damage your floor.
b) Avoid using products such as Ammonia, Vinegar, Hydrogen peroxide or bleach. Using these products may leave etch marks on the marble surface.
c) Do not use tub cleaning powder and creams on your marble floor because it has some abrasives that scratch the surface.
d) Use the marble cleaner specified for your marble floor at the marble store. Ensure that you enquire about the right marble cleaner at the store.
How to Clean Your Marble Floor in Bathroom?
1. Use your standard smooth mop to clean the surface to ensure that the loose dirt is swept away. Most standard mops have a fluffy texture that will be gentle on your floor as you sweep. The loose debris is destructive to your floor since it can cause minor scratches when stepped on. Sweeping should be done regularly to prevent build up.
2. Use the vacuum cleaner to suction away minute particles on the floor that may have remained during sweeping. Be very gentle when using a vacuum cleaner because it can easily scratch the marble floor.
3. After ensuring that the surface is dirt-free, apply your marble cleaner on the marble surface. You can clean bit by bit, or you can cover the entire surface with the cleaner. The most effective way it to cover the marble floor completely with the marble cleaner.
4. Use a soft towel to wipe the cleaner gently. Do this repeatedly, considering the amount of dirt on the surface. If the area is so dirty, you may have to add some more marble cleaner. It would help if you did this until you clean the entire surface.
5: Dry the surface using a clean, smooth cloth. You can provide efficient air circulation by opening up the bathroom windows so that the surfaces can dry quickly.
How to Remove Stains from Bathroom Marble Floor?
Your bathroom floor may contain different kinds of stains, and you have no idea how to clean them. Below are stains that may occur on your marble floor:
a) Ink or Paint Removal
Paint stains mostly appear after the house’s construction is over and after renovations. This is a common problem, and it should not worry you.
Apply the lacquer on the affected surface and scratch off the paint, sing the thin blade. Be gentle to avoid destroying the marble.
If the paint on the surface is quite thick, use a standard paint remover. It costs around $13 to $15 per 960 ml depending on the manufacturer and store.
b) Oil-based and Biological Stains Removal
Common oil-based stains may be such as petroleum jelly, body lotions, and even greasy foodstuff.
Biological stains are those that decompose quickly, like plants. To treat the affected surface, clean gently using a cloth and a solution, preferably acetone and mineral spirit.
c) Rust Removal
When iron objects such as pins and nails fall on the bathroom floor, they get into contact with water, and the result is brown rust that forms. It leaves some brown marks on the floor that can be hard to get rid of.
Apply a marble poultice on the affected area. It helps by removing tough stains that have deep-set on the wet bathroom surface.
Making a marble poultice may be a challenge to you, but you can also do it yourself to reduce the cost of hiring someone to do it or you.
It would help if you made it using a good rust remover. It will cost you around $5 – $60, depending on the quantity you may need.
To make marble poultice, you mix one glass of the rust remover solvent with a solid absorbent material.
After applying the poultice to the stain, wait for two days until it dries completely. Remove the dried poultice gently using the thin blade. Afterward, clean the surface and dry it with a smooth towel.
How to Protect Your Rest Room Marble Floor?
Below are the methods you should consider taking to protect your marble floor:
- Ensure that you avoid going with foreign substances such as foodstuff or drinks in the bathroom. You may end up spilling such substances on the marble floor.
- Avoid entering with dirty flip-flops in the bathroom. It would be best if you designated some unique flip-flops to use when entering the bathroom.
- Place a rug on the bathroom pathway to help clean your feet as you are entering the bathroom. This will help you to leave the dirty particles on the rug that you can dust off later.
- Never procrastinate cleaning your bathroom. Do it whenever you see a stain on the floor. This will help by stopping any build-up of mold or soap scum on the marble.
Safety Precautions Before Cleaning Your Bathroom Marble Floor
Marble is very slippery and is known to cause people severe accidents because you can easily slide and fall. Before you attempt to clean your marble floor, note the following:
- Do not clean the marble floor when you are under the influence of alcohol or any other drug.
- Do not clean a surface if there is poor lighting since visibility is low.
- Ensure that you wear well-treaded shoes that will allow traction with the slippery marble floor.
- Avoid coming into contact with acidic products as they may corrode your skin. Use a pair of gloves
- Ensure that you store your toiletry items, such as your bathing soap and body scrub properly, to prevent coming into contact with some cleaning agents. They may be acidic and can cause harm to your skin.
This article is beneficial for you since it involves how to clean marble floor in bathroom effectively and protection methods.
A clean bathroom is a sign of good hygiene and will help prevent some infections that are related to dirt. Never allow dirt to accumulate in your bathroom because the result of that can inconvenience you.