Cleaning your home is not only about moving dirt around, it’s about killing the bugs that come with the dirt. Whether it’s roaches, ants, or fleas, a dirty house can quickly turn into an infested house.
Fleas are particularly nasty insects, and they’re in the top 5 of the most annoying house pests to have. If you’re having a hard time controlling these blood-thirsty little creatures, maybe it’s time to change your cleaning habits, and start thinking about your floor cleaning habits.
This article will not only help you determine which kind of floor cleaning is the best, but it will also give you some ideas for how to best clean your floors from flies.
Why Do There Have Fleas In Your House?
Fleas can get into your house for various reasons. They include:
1. Unwashed clothes and bedding, especially if they are dry.
2. Pets and animals, the pet’s fur will amass dead fleas.
3. Insecticide-treated carpets when the flea pesticide is applied, a large number of fleas die and remain in the carpet fibers.
4. Yard debris or compost pile, old, dried-up piles of leaves or manure can harbor fleas on their way to your house, making it an ideal place for fleas to lay eggs in your house.
5. If a resident has a flea infestation in the neighborhood, it’s not unusual for your house to be infested too. Move furniture away from windows and doorways. Remove clutter and keep these areas dust-free.
6. Old fleas that have been living in bedding or rugs for a long time are present in your house. They’re good at hiding and waiting for the right conditions to start reproducing and find new hosts.
7. Fleas can also be brought indoors by visitors who bring their pets inside with them.
What to Mop With to Get Rid of Fleas?
1. If you have pets, you should use a pet deterrent that gets rid of fleas, like Advantage Multi for Cats.
This powerful and odorless product kills adult fleas on contact and also makes your home free of fleas for up to 8 months.
2. If you discover an infestation, immediately remove the infected area with a vacuum.
Vacuum your carpets and upholstery thoroughly.
Vacuuming will remove some adult fleas but possibly the eggs of eggs remaining in the carpet or furniture. Then hire a professional pest control service to come to spray and treat the whole house.
3. Reapply the insecticide after vacuuming up all the fleas.
4. If you have pets, you also need to use a product that kills fleas on contact, such as Frontline for Cats or for Dogs , Advantix for Cats or for Dogs.
These products work quickly and kill adult fleas, eggs, and larvae. They do not leave a visible residue so they will not harm your pets’ fur or furniture.
5. For a more thorough treatment, you could use a combination of insecticide and dust that kills fleas on contact and also protects for up to 8 months. The most effective one is Advocate for Dogs. These products are effective, safe and it’s even safe for cats.
6. Flea bombs are another option, which use a fogging agent to kill fleas within the first few days after application.
The fog penetrates deep into the carpet and fabric of your home, reaching all areas where eggs may have been laid beforehand. The fog is odorless and non-staining and is an effective killer of fleas.
7. Another way to get rid of fleas is to use a spray bottle full of diluted vinegar sprayed on the affected area.
What Disinfectant Cleaner Is Effective to Kill Fleas and Dust Mites?
Purification with bleach is an effective way to kill fleas. Bleach is an effective way to destroy fleas because it kills the flea eggs.
This method is also very simple – you only have to buy some bleach, mix it and then apply it to the affected area.
To apply this disinfectant, you should use a spray bottle and spray it as if you were applying table wine vinegar.
You can also mix ½ teaspoon of bleach in 1 cup of water. This mixture will help kill fleas on contact.
What Are Household Cleaners that kill Fleas?
There are many household cleaners that work well for the rest of our household, but do little for the fleas.
1. Salt Water
Saltwater is another home remedy that effectively kills fleas. It is ideal to use it in combination with another (home or professional) treatment against fleas.
- How to use it?
To prepare a solution, you have to mix 1/2 cup salt in 2 cups of water and then pour it over the entire infected area. It will disinfect the flea eggs and kill the fleas. Besides that, it is also a good cleaning agent.
2. Bleach Spray
Bleach has all the properties to get rid of fleas because it kills the flea eggs by destroying their shells.
- How to use it?
If you want to kill fleas on carpets, apply the mixture directly to them. Let it sit for several hours or a day before brushing off the voracious insects. You can also use it to kill fleas on carpets and other fabrics. It is also very effective against larvae.
Another solution for killing fleas is vinegar. It is an all-purpose cleaner, excellent for cleaning and disinfecting houses.
- How to use it?
To use it, mix 1 cup of vinegar in a gallon of water. Spray it directly on the affected area and wait until it dries.
Then wash with hot water. You can also spray it on carpets and rugs to disinfect them.
4. Citrus Fruit Peel
Citrus fruit peel is another homemade remedy that works well for killing fleas.
- How to use it?
To prepare the mixture, mix 2 cups of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of salt and a few tablespoons of lemon juice.
Pour it over the carpet and wait for 30 minutes for it to dry (if you are washing the carpet immediately, use a vacuum cleaner). Then vacuum up all insects.
How To Get Rid Of Fleas On Hardwood Floros Naturally?
1. Vacuum your home thoroughly. The most effective way to get rid of fleas is by vacuuming carpets, upholstery, and all areas where fleas could have existed.
The vacuum also the bedding, pet bedding, and furniture in the house, that you think may be inhabited by fleas.
2. Use insecticidal soap. It is a powerful insecticide, which is applied to cats and dogs and kills fleas immediately without damaging the coat.
3. Blast your home with heat. It is best to use a professional hot water steamer, which will help to eliminate all larvae and eggs without harming the surface of your home.
This method is efficient because the moisture from the steam helps to penetrate deep into carpets and fabrics so that the eggs are destroyed and do not hatch again.
4. Use essential oils to repel fleas naturally. One of these oils is peppermint, which is one of the most reliable natural repellents for fleas.
It also keeps them away from the person and will help you get rid of the flea problem quickly by impregnating the environment with the oil.
How to Kill Fleas on Carpet?
1. Steam clean the carpets using an insecticidal treatment (Many professional carpet cleaners offer this as an option).
This is the most effective way to get rid of fleas, but it requires Steam Machine Treatment with specialized tools and experience, which is not easily available to everyone.
2. Use flea spray.
You can use a carpet and upholstery spray such as Garlon to treat an entire room or large area by spraying them liberally over the affected area. Wait a few hours, then vacuum fleas.
3. Use boric acid powder instead.
Boric acid is an organic insecticide that you can use around your home, but be careful not to breathe the fine powder, since it can cause lung problems if you do. Fleas are very sensitive to boric acid and will die within hours of exposure.
How to Kill Bedbugs on Mattress?
1. Apply insecticides and pesticides on the mattress.
Sprinkle boric acid powder all over the mattress, paying special attention to the seams and creases where bedbugs usually hide. Leave the powder on there for at least 48 hours before you vacuum it off.
2. Use an all-natural treatment solution.
Use a food-grade Diatomaceous Earth powder as a natural pesticide to kill bedbugs on your mattress. Diatomaceous Earth is an all-natural pesticide made from the fossils of diatoms, which destroys bedbugs and their eggs. It dehydrates the bugs and causes death by desiccation.
3. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dead bedbugs, eggs, and cast skins.
Hose down your mattress with water to kill bedbugs that are hiding in the seams of the mattress or in the cracks between the box spring and frame.
4. Fill all the crevices and seams on the mattress with steaming hot water to kill all bedbugs and eggs in there.
You can use a hot steam machine for your mattress if you have one.
Will Mopping with Dawn Kill Fleas?
Yes, Dawn is a very effective way to kill fleas. It will break down the outer layer of their bodies, causing the fleas to die and fall off the pet.
1. Dawn is a low-sudsing detergent that you can use on all kinds of surfaces, including the floors and carpets, but it’s especially effective on animal bedding like dog beds and cat litter boxes.
2. Mix 1/2 cup Dawn with 1 gallon of warm water and apply it with a mop to mop the floor and get rid of fleas.
3. Allow the solution to sit for a few minutes, so that fleas start dying.
4. Vacuum the floor and wipe up remaining fleas and eggs with a damp rag.
Will Bleach Kill Fleas on Hardwood Floors?
Yes. The main ingredient in bleach is sodium hypochlorite, which is an oxidizing agent.
This means that it will kill fleas by reacting with their bodily fluids, causing an imbalance of electrolytes that kills them.
Bleaching diluted solution at a 5-1 ratio will be effective for killing the fleas and will not damage the hardwood flooring if it is cleaned right after application.
Does Vinegar Kill Fleas?
Yes, Vinegar is an effective way to kill fleas, but will only work if all of the fleas are exposed to it at once.
To be effective, you need to completely soak the affected animal, the surrounding area and all of the pets’ bedding in vinegar before you begin vacuuming.
That way, fleas will be killed as they come in contact with the vinegar. Vinegar is an all-natural solution, which will not harm your pets, but it may stain the area and furniture if you apply it on carpets or upholstery.
Does Fabuloso Kill Fleas?
Yes, Fabuloso is made using only natural ingredients, including essential oils and diffusers that can be used for killing fleas in your home.
The most effective way to get rid of fleas with Fabuloso is to add a capful of the concentrated liquid soap into warm water, then mix it with a tablespoon of salt.
Apply this solution along all surfaces that are infested by fleas and let it sit for 30 minutes. Vacuum all surfaces to remove dead fleas.
Will A Steam Mop Kill Fleas?
Yes, a steam mop is an effective way to kill fleas. A steam mop is a machine that has a head attachment that heats the cleaning solution inside to kill fleas, dust mites, and other pests.
This will only work if all of the fleas are exposed to the steam at once by going over them with the steam mop. You can purchase one with a built-in steam head or use any conventional steam mop that you have in your house.
Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to your regular cleaning solution then add 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes. Spray the mixture all over the affected area and lets it sit for another 5 minutes before you begin vacuuming.
Fleas are very resilient pests and difficult to get rid of. There is no single answer for how to kill fleas that work in every situation and for every pet. The key is to apply several strategies, including both natural and chemical treatments.
These methods should be applied in rotation, which means using one method for a week or two then switching to another method for the same amount of time and so forth until you completely eliminate all signs of fleas from your home.