Tiles are popular in flooring for commercial and domestic buildings. Tile floors have a shiny and elegant appearance making interior spaces beautiful. They are easy to clean and maintain, but when neglected, this flooring becomes dull and grimy.
Polishing tile floors is a crucial part of maintenance that restores its shiny appearance and adds longevity to your tile floor. You can either clean your tile floor using either commercial polishing or natural products, depending on your personal preference.
How to Polish Tile Floors?
1. Vinegar Solution
A vinegar solution is an effective natural cleaning product for removing soil and disinfecting the tile floors. When you clean your tile flooring using a vinegar solution, it polishes it, giving it a shiny appearance and leaves behind a natural scent that makes your house smell fresh. The following are the steps on how to clean tile flooring using a vinegar solution.
- Prepare the vinegar solution- Mix ½ cup of white vinegar with two gallons of warm water in a mop bucket.
- Clean thoroughly- Dip a mop in the vinegar solution and wring out excess water. Move your mop in forth and backward motions to attain a thorough cleaning and remove all dirt.
- Rinse the floor- once you have rubbed and removed all dirt and stains on the floor, rinse the surface with cold water.
- Dry the tile floor- Use a clean microfiber cloth to mop the floor and remove all the moisture.
2. Soapy Water
You can use a mixture of warm water and soap to polish your tile floors. To make the solution, add soap detergents to a mop bucket with warm water and mix thoroughly. Use the following procedure to clean your floor:
- Dip the mop on the soap detergent and squeeze out excess water before using it on the tile floor.
- Mop the floor thoroughly and replace the solution when it is dirty to prevent leaving behind nasty streaks.
- In case of stains, use a soft brush to scrub them gently.
- Rinse the floor with clean water and dry it completely
3. Baking Soda Paste
Baking soda, commonly known as sodium bicarbonate, is an effective natural tile polish. It removes tough stains and dirt from the tile floor, rejuvenating its appearance. It is the best cleaning solution you should consider when removing grease stains in tiles. The following are the steps to follow when polishing your tile floors using baking soda paste:
- Prepare the paste-Mix a ¼ cup of baking soda with 2 gallons of warm water in a mop bucket. For a more effective result, you can add a /4 cup of vinegar. Mix the ingredients thoroughly to form a paste
- Cleaning- clean your tile floor with the baking soda paste and leave it to sit on the surface for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse- rinse the tiles with clean water to remove the paste residue on the surface.
- Dry-take a soft dry cloth or mop to remove excess moisture on the floor.
4. Ammonia-Water Solution
It is one of the best cleaners you can use to remove stains and polish your tile floor. It restores the shiny appearance of the flooring, leaving it very appealing. Follow the following procedure.
- Make the solution- mix warm water and a little bit of ammonia in a mop bucket.
- Clean- soak a mop in the ammonia solution and wring out excess water. Mop the tiles thoroughly to remove dirt and stains. For tough stains, you can dip a soft cloth to the solution and scrub the surface gently.
- Rinse- rinse the surface with clean water and dry the floor using a soft dry mop/towel to remove moisture.
5. Furniture Polish
Using furniture polish is an effective way of polishing tile floors to achieve a sparkling result. It makes the floor slippery; therefore, once the polish is applied, it should be buffed to dry. Apply it in the following steps:
- Spray- spray the furniture polish while holding the bottle at least two feet from the floor.
- Buff- take a soft clean cloth and use it to buff the tile until the polish is gone leaving the surface bright and shiny.
6. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is another natural product you can use to polish your tiles. The following are the steps on how to do it:
- Squeeze lemon juice- squeeze some lemon juice on a clean cloth
- Rub-Rub each tile gently with the damp cloth
- Rinse- After you are done rinse with warm water and dry the floor using dry mop/cloth
How to Maintain the Tile Floor After Polishing?
When you polish your tile floor, it regains its bright and shiny appearance that is appealing and makes your room look presentable. The following are some of the methods you can use to maintain your tile floor polish.
Sweep or vacuum your tile floor regularly
One of the best ways of maintaining your tiles shine and polish is by keeping it clean. Sweeping or vacuuming your floor will remove dirt and debris that build up, causing your tile floor to lose their luster. When the dust is left to lie on the tiles floor for long periods, they smash into the tiles turning into grimy stains.
In addition to sweeping and vacuuming, mopping the tile floor is crucial to maintain its polish. For low traffic floors that are less dirty, you can use a damp mop to do the cleaning. Also, you can consider a dry mop for an easy clean.
Wipeout any spills or stains as soon as possible
To keep your tile flooring polished and without any deep stains, you should wipe out spills or stains quickly. When spills sit on the tile floor for long, it quickly soaks and stains your stain. They also cause the surface to be sticky and attract more dirt and dust to adhere to your tile floor.
Tiles are the most popular flooring in many domestic and commercial buildings. They are easy to clean and maintain. However, if not taken care of, tiles lose their luster and are subjected to deep stains.
There are several cleaning solutions you can use to clean and polish your tile floor. You can either use commercial polishing products or natural products to polish your tile and spark clean.